In our effort to establish groups with diverse ability levels, age and gender, our coaches will be selecting the riders that will fit into our program this season. All grade levels are for the Fall 2017 school year.
This group is for fall 2017 second grade riders and will be combined to include both girls and boys. Our small group ratios will allow all of these riders to make huge progress with both their skill development and confidence. These kiddos should have a solid foundation of riding a two-wheeler on dirt roads and ideally have some experience on mellow single track trails. NO TRAINING WHEELS PLEASE. All athletes must be on a good fitting bike with 16” or 20” wheels, have an excellent fitting helmet and most importantly, demonstrate genuine enthusiasm for riding their bike.
- Mini Devo: Tuesday and Thursday (9am – 3pm) or Tuesday ONLY (9am – 3pm)
- We will be offering a two-day/week option for experienced riders on Tuesday and Thursday as well as a one-day/week option for a younger/beginner group on Tuesday. If your child is on the smaller/younger side of this group, we ask that you please register him/her for the Tuesday only group. If you have any questions, please contact us and we’ll help you with this decision.
- June 19 – August 18 (9 weeks) Mini Devo team “Celebration” and high quality gender specific logo tech tee included
This group is designed for young riders who have shown a passion and skill set to ride adventurous trails in the Gunnison Valley. Riders in this group must be capable of comfortably riding at least a 24” bike with gears and hand brakes on single track trails for periods of up to 4 hours (this includes breaks). Intermediate biking skills such as speed control, riding through rocky terrain, proficient braking, adequate shifting technique, as well as being able to climb uphill portions of single track trails are required. While the main focus of this group is to have lots of fun, our program is designed to improve each rider’s existing bike-handling skills. Athletes should be able to ride local trails such as Lupine Trail/Lower Loop, Snodgrass, Strand Hill, and the upper or lower portions of 401 if shuttled to the start of the single track. For 2017, we will be splitting our Jr. Devos into three groups to attain the very best ability matches and will offer a third, fourth and fifth grade group.
- Jr. Devo: Monday/Wednesday (9am -3pm)
- June 19 – August 18 (9 weeks) Jr. Devo team “Celebration” party and high quality gender specific logo tech tee included
Jr. Devo/Jr. Deva Explorers
We offer this one-day a week option for third thru sixth graders who need guidance with the basic fundamentals of mountain biking such as braking and shifting. This is a great program for younger and/or beginner riders who like to ride their bike and just need to develop the confidence to really allow them to LOVE riding their bike! These riders should be on either a 24” or 26” wheeled bike depending on size. Please be sure their bike fits properly for safety and added fun factor. Please note that the focus of this group will intentionally be much different than the Jr. Devo/Jr. Deva two-day/week groups. If you have any questions, please contact us and we’ll help you with this decision.
- Jr. Devo Explorer: Monday (9am – 3pm)/Jr. Deva Explorer: Wednesday (9am – 3pm)
- June 19 – August 18 (9 weeks) Jr. Explorer team “Celebration” party and high quality gender specific logo tech tee included
Jr. Deva/ Deva
Girl athletes, girl coaches, girl FUN!!! We have made the commitment to provide quality coaching and adventure for a team that is only for girls. Due to the phenomenal success of this program last season, we have hired another coach and expanded our Deva group offerings. Please see descriptions for Jr. Devo as the same skills will apply to this group.
This season, our Jr. Devas will be split into two groups, third grade and fourth/fifth grade. Our Deva program is for sixth thru eighth grade middle school girls as we continue to encourage more female riders to join the Crested Butte Devo High School Race Team.
- Jr. Deva: Monday/Wednesday (9am – 3pm)
- Deva: Tuesday/Thursday (9am – 3pm)
- June 19 – August 18 (9 weeks) Jr. Deva team “Celebration” party included/Deva team “Celebration” campout (for a nominal fee) and high quality gender specific logo tech tee for both groups included
This group will consist of our sixth thru eighth grade middle school riders who are motivated to continue with skill building and are interested in taking their adventure riding to the next level. Riders in this group must be on a minimum of a 26” bike and be comfortable on longer, more physically demanding rides including Deer Creek, 403, Dyke Trail, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans, etc. While racing is not mandatory, riders in this group may be interested in participating in local, regional and national races. Although our main focus is to have fun and learn valuable life skills, riders will also focus on specific training which requires a bit more of a commitment. With this group, we hope to encourage participation in the growing Crested Butte Devo High School Race Team.
- Devo: Tuesday/Thursday (9am – 3pm)
- June 19 – August 18 (9 weeks) Devo team “Celebration” campout (for a nominal fee) and high quality gender specific logo tech tee included.
Crested Butte Devo U19/High School Program
We are super excited to announce this NEW addition to the Crested Butte Devo groups this summer for high school aged riders! With limited summer programming available for this age group, we look forward to providing fun, safe and adventurous rides for these older riders. In an effort to accommodate those with jobs and other commitments, we are offering both a two day/week and one day/week option for six weeks that is designed to transition athletes into their fall seasons…be it soccer, volleyball, cross-country or best yet…the Crested Butte Devo High School Race Team!!! Trail etiquette, skill building, injury prevention, bike maintenance, nutrition and map reading will all be part of this program but will be most in depth for the two day/week program. We will group these ninth thru twelfth grade riders based on skill and fitness level. At this age, riders in this program should be self-motivated to continue with skill building and are interested in taking their adventure riding to the next level. All riders in this group must be on a minimum of a 26” bike and be comfortable on longer, more physically demanding rides including Deer Creek, 403, Dyke Trail, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadmans, etc.