2018 Course Description
The Chalk Creek Stampede is located in central Colorado on the McMurry Land & Livestock Ranch, on the west side of Highway 285, where Mount Princeton provides a majestic backdrop.
After an initial double-track climb from the ranches flat grazing area, a single track climbs the course winding along a picturesque plateau. Some rocky sections offer intermediate challenges and a technical descent down to Chalk Creek where riders wind through aspen and cottonwoods. The return is a fast double-track mixed with a little fun twisty single track.
2018 Course Description
This course was specifically designed as a Colorado League race venue. Special thanks to the Town of Eagle, Yuri Kostick, Momentum Trails, John Staight, Chris Cook, Scott Turnipseed, John Bailey, Jay Henry, Hard Scrabble Trails, Amy Cassidy, Battle Mountain High School and VSSA Teams. Thanks to the many local Eagle businesses that welcome support this event.
The course incorporates a touch of everything from fast flat lower sections along the pastoral valley parallel to Brush Creek. It includes several moderate climbs, a few rock bridges, winding berms, fun rollers and a twisty crowd-pleasing slalom descent. This course is fun and demanding and there is a 6.3 miles.
Once again, we will be celebrating MORE KIDS ON BIKES and would love to have you join us for the BEST KID’S BIKE PARTY on the planet!!! The 4th Annual “Junior Crested Butte Bike Week” is for kids of all ages and abilities with everything from clinics to ICE CREAM…and yes, we did say ICE CREAM!!
Thursday, June 20
- 3 pm: Townie Takeover!! Meet at the Crested Butte Bike Week Town Park “Vendor Village” to decorate bikes, assemble costumes and get ready to take over Elk Avenue to kick-off the 39th Annual Crested Butte Bike Week!! We will be departing from the Crested Butte Chamber of Commerce located at the 4-way stop at 4 pm to parade down Elk Avenue and will be exiting left (east) off of Elk Avenue onto 2nd Street.
- 6:30 pm: Doors open at the Public House, located at 202 Elk Avenue, for the Crested Butte Devo High School Race Team Fundraiser – Featuring “Filmed By Bike”. Super awesome “luck of the draw” with all proceeds benefitting our high school race program. This film has a run time of 55-minutes and will start at 7 pm SHARP so please come early to buy your raffle tickets and get your CB Devo merchandise for the season. $10 for children 12 and under, $15 for the rest of us! One raffle ticket included with movie entry.
Friday, June 21
- 3 pm: STRIDER CUP followed by the Slow Race (aka “Foot Down”) Championships!! Both events will be held at 1st and Elk Avenue before the “Chainless World Championships”. Lots of fun prizes and both events are FREE!
Saturday, June 22
- 10 am – noon: Meet at Tommy V Field parking lot, located at 910 9th Street, under the CB Devo tent for Skills Clinics w/ CB Devo coaches, small groups will be broken into age/ability. These will be held at CBCS parking lots and we’ll also have clinics available for you parents with BICP certified instructors, Phil Ott and Sierra Cucinelli, who are both absolutely AMAZING!! No matter how old you are, there is always something to learn. $20/athlete
- 2 pm – 4 pm: PBJ (Pumps, Bumps and Jumps) at the Crested Butte Bike Park!!! Raffle to benefit the Crested Butte Conservation Corps, fun age category pump track races and jump clinics.
- 5 pm: Pizza & Ice Cream Party followed by the pre-race meeting for the Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic at Totem Pole Park (located on Maroon Avenue across from the fire station) with Brick Oven pizza, Big B’s drinks and Third Bowl Ice Cream…racers and fans welcome! Included with race entry, $10 suggested donation to Crested Butte Devo for everyone else.
Sunday, June 23 “4th Annual Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic”
- 9 am: 2019 Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic XC Race $10-$50/athlete includes event hat, pizza & ice cream at pre-race meeting and finishers medal. Supported by: The Crested Butte Land Trust, Alpine Orthopedics and MTBhome.com
- U18 (ages 14-17) $50 9 am Start: Course is approximately 12 miles, 1,500 ft climbing RED BIBS w/RED COURSE MARKINGS
- U14 (ages 12-13) $40 9:05 am Start: Course is approximately 10 miles, 1,000 ft climbing BLUE BIBS w/BLUE COURSE MARKINGS
- U12 (ages 10-11) $40 9:10 am Start: Course is approximately 10 miles, 1,000 ft climbing BLUE BIBS w/BLUE COURSE MARKINGS
- U10 (ages 8-9) $35 9:15 am Start: Course is approximately 8 miles, 800 ft climbing GREEN BIBS w/ GREEN COURSE MARKINGS
- U8 (ages 6-7) $30 9:20 am Start: Course is approximately 6 miles, 600 ft climbing YELLOW BIBS w/ YELLOW COURSE MARKINGS
- All races will have neutral start and will finish on dirt at Peanut Lake Road for safety.
- Award Ceremony immediately following the race at the Junior Crested Butte Bike Week Headquarters…where the race started in the grass at Tommy V Field.