Ride some of the best singletrack AND support Gunnison Trails??? YES PLEASE!!!
Join us at the Hartman Rocks base area for the 2nd Annual Kid’s Original Growler…a free, fun event JUST for kids. Participants will receive a super pro race plate and event trucker hat. Donations will be accepted to benefit Gunnison Trails.
GROWLER KID’S RACES SATURDAY MORNING
The Original Growler Kid’s Races:
Calling all young mountain bikers from Striders on up that want to participate in the Gunnison Trails Growler weekend but just don’t quite have the legs for a full 32-mile lap. Here’s the scoop for the second annual “Kid’s Growler”…
When: Saturday – 8:30am, May 26th
Where: Hartman Rocks Base area at the picnic table pavilion
Please meet us under the picnic table pavilion at the Hartman Rocks base area at 8:30 am on Saturday, May 26 for FREE REGISTRATION! Here you’ll get a number plate and sign a quick release of liability waiver. Don’t forget to bring snacks and a water bottle or hydration pack. Helmets and closed toed sneakers required, sunglasses and bike gloves are highly recommended.
RACE 1- Ages 3-5, 9:30am
- On the short course, for the Strider riders as well as those just transitioning to pedals. For this one lap/short course race, we ask that parents accompany their child with no brakes or those who are still a little shaky. There may be a “mandatory dismount” to get down one short hill. Suggested age range for this race is 3-5 years old.
RACE 2- Ages 5-7, 9:45am
- On the short course, this race is intended for kids that are confident pedaling and more experienced on two wheels. This race will be approximately 15 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 5-7 years old.
RACE 3- Ages 7-9, 10:10am
- On the short course, this race will be for even faster kids with more proficient bike handling skill and fitness. This race will be approximately 20 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 7-9 years old.
RACE 4- Ages 9+, 10:20am
- This race will be on a longer course for our oldest and fastest kids. Riders registering for this race must have solid descending skills and endurance for longer laps with more climbing. This race will be approximately 30 minutes long. The suggested age range for this race is 9 and up.
We will have healthy post-race refreshments at the start/finish area. Please contact Amy at amy@CrestedButteDevo.com with any questions.
For eleven years, the Original Growler has not wavered from our guiding principal of asking you to trade your hard earned dollars for three things:
1. An awesome day on the bike. The Growler offers a challenging, singletrack heavy mountain biking experience on some of the finest trails on the planet.
2. A killer party. Food, drink and camaraderie, post race, in downtown Gunnison (for those that still have some party left in them!)
3. Top shelf trails, both existing and developing. Regardless of where you live, you become a stakeholder in Gunnison area trails as every penny of your entry fee goes directly to the 501c3 not for profit,
Gunnison Trails, and Gunnison Trails’ mission is focused solely on improving and expanding area trails.
Please join us for the BEST KID’S BIKE PARTY on the planet!!! The 3rd Annual “Junior Crested Butte Bike Week” is for kids of all ages and abilities with everything from clinics to ICE CREAM…and yes, we did say ICE CREAM!!
Friday, June 22
- 3 pm: STRIDER CUP followed by the Slow Race (aka “Foot Down”) Championships!! Both events will be held at 1st and Elk Avenue before the “Chainless World Championships”. Lots of fun prizes and both events are FREE!
- 5:30 pm: Doors open at the Majestic Theatre for the Crested Butte Devo High School Race Team Fundraiser – Featuring “Filmed By Bike”. Super awesome “luck of the draw” with all proceeds benefitting our high school race program. Movie will start at approximately 6 pm. $10 for children 18 and under, $15 for the rest of us!
One raffle ticket included with movie entry.
Saturday, June 23
- 10 am – noon: Meet at Tommy V Field parking lot under CB Devo tent for Skills Clinics w/ CB Devo coaches, small groups will be broken into age/ability. These will be held at CBCS parking lots and we’ll also have clinics available for you parents with IMBA certified instructors, Phil Ott and Sierra Cucinelli, who are both absolutely AMAZING!! No matter how old you are, there is always something to learn. $20/athlete
- 2 pm – 4 pm: PBJ (Pumps, Bumps and Jumps) Expo to celebrate the NEW Crested Butte Bike Park!!!
- 5 pm: Pizza & Ice Cream Party followed by the pre-race meeting for the Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic at Totem Pole Park (located on Maroon Avenue across from the fire station) with Brick Oven pizza, Big B’s drinks and Third Bowl Ice Cream…racers and fans welcome! Included with race entry, $10 suggested donation to Crested Butte Devo for everyone else.
Sunday, June 24 “3rd Annual Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic”
- 9 am: 2018 Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic XC Race $10-$50/athlete includes event hat, pizza & ice cream at pre-race meeting and finishers medal. Supported by: The Crested Butte Land Trust, Alpine Orthopedics and MTBhome.com
- U18 (ages 14-17) $50 9 am Start: Course is approximately 12 miles, 1,500 ft climbing RED BIBS w/RED COURSE MARKINGS
- U14 (ages 12-13) $40 9:05 am Start: Course is approximately 10 miles, 1,000 ft climbing BLUE BIBS w/BLUE COURSE MARKINGS
- U12 (ages 10-11) $40 9:10 am Start: Course is approximately 10 miles, 1,000 ft climbing BLUE BIBS w/BLUE COURSE MARKINGS
- U10 (ages 8-9) $35 9:15 am Start: Course is approximately 8 miles, 800 ft climbing GREEN BIBS w/ GREEN COURSE MARKINGS
- U8 (ages 6-7) $30 9:20 am Start: Course is approximately 6 miles, 600 ft climbing YELLOW BIBS w/ YELLOW COURSE MARKINGS
- All races will have neutral start and will finish on dirt at Peanut Lake Road for safety.
- Award Ceremony immediately following the race at the Junior Crested Butte Bike Week Headquarters…where the race started in the grass at Tommy V Field.
The 3rd Annual Junior Crested Butte Bike Week will most definitely be the best one yet! We’ve got everything from Strider Cup to Crested Butte Junior Wildflower Classic racing and everything in between including movies, pizza, whip off competition, clinics and don’t forget the ICE CREAM!! Please visit our website at https://crestedbuttedevo.com/event/crested-butte-bike-week/ for more details. All proceeds benefit the Crested Butte Development Team, a 501(c)3 organization that solely exists to get (and keep) more kids on bikes.